Thursday, October 9, 2008

Protect Marriage

For the past few months, our family has been extremely involved in the campaign to protect traditional marriage. It has been our pleasure to walk the neighborhoods of our city talking to people about marriage and why it needs protection. Last night, I attended a broadcast at church that discussed the reasons why the LDS Church, and many other religious faiths are so involved with this campaign. I especially enjoyed the part of the discussion about tolerance. Some would say that we, who are in favor of Prop 8, are not being "tolerant" of those who choose to live in same-sex relationships. They might even say that we are not living our own religious beliefs as Christ taught to love all our neighbors...even those we do not agree with. These people need to understand that while Christ did love all, he still taught against many of the things they were doing. He tuaght us by perfect example that we can love our neighbors and still stand up against what we believe to be wrong. We need to protect our faith and we need to protect our familes.

5 comments:

Mandee said...

I wish I were there to vote! Good luck Prop 8!

Jonesy said...

I'm so sorry I missed you guys last night. But it was so great ! I appreciated the part about tolerance as well and the explaination of the "new definition". It just made so much sense ! (not that I questioned it before, I was just having a hard time putting it into words)

Dean and Maryellen said...

I hope we will get a ballot so we can help. I was sent an e-mail with a commecial from the Catholic Church. It was great. NOt just for Prop.8 but for the National Election. Urging all Catholic people to vote for Life, Faith and Family. It is at Catholicvote.com.
Conference is great. You are a sweet Angel.
Mom

Matthew Urmston said...

Help is on it's way. I just got home from meeting with all the Stake Auxillaries, Ward Elders Quorum, High Priest Group Leadership, R.S Presidencies where we were ask to start working the phones two hours a night until the vote is cast. There should be about 5000 people from Utah County alone making calls.

Urmston Family said...

Sounds great Matthew. We have been working hard and any help will be great. We are now in phase two of the process...indoctrinating those "Not Sure's" about why they need to vote Yes. Thanks for the help.